Of Unlikely Friends
It was a dark, chilly night, and as my friends and I sat around
the fire talking, it dawned on me that this was the last time we would be this
close. I feared daybreak because it meant it was time for us to go our separate
ways for the next two years. Looking at Jane and Linda, I couldn't help but
feel so emotional as the two held a special place in my heart. I couldn’t help
but think back to the day we met 3years ago. It was 5pm and I was walking down
the streets on Nairobi looking to buy some fruits from the street vendors. If
you’ve ever been in town in the evening, you know that you should not mess with
hawkers; otherwise, it won’t go well. The food and fruit vendors are the
scariest bunch. Whatever you do, if you walk past them, make it a point to walk
straight!! I cannot stress this enough. The thought of knocking over their
product sends chills down anyone’s spine.
I finally saw the fruits I wanted, and as I was bending down to pick some, a passerby accidentally pushed me, and I fell on the fruits I was trying to buy. These fruits belonged to a skinny lady referred to as Jane. What followed were insults from her and all the vendors around. The things that were said would put the devil to shame. I sat there looking helpless and about to cry. Some guys had pity on me, but they couldn’t help and risk the wrath of these women. I got the strength to get up amidst all the insults and threats, but before I could, someone shouted a word I dreaded more than this women
"Kanjo!!!
Now I knew I was done for. Everyone grabbed their stuff and started running. Jane didn’t even look at me. She pushed me, and I fell again and took her stuff and took off. I took one look at my dirty self, and I knew there was no way anyone would believe I had come from work, so I did the next best thing, I took off following Jane. When she saw me behind her, she started cursing at me, but I didn’t care about her foul tongue; I had to save myself.
I saw a hiding spot ahead and ran towards it, but unfortunately, that was where the kanjo van was parked. As I turned to run back, I collided into Jane, and we both fell; and the council askaris picked us up and put us into their old, smell, and unroadworthy van. Could this evening get any worse
The van was smelly and full of rowdy and loud people? I sat quietly, wondering how I had managed to lose my bag and one shoe. I wanted to shut my eyes, but unfortunately, I was seated next to Jane, blaming me for her misfortunes. I badly wanted to punch her but to what end. We heard some noise outside and looked out a medium-sized woman was fighting with three of the askaris. Surprisingly enough, she seemed to be winning the fight, which excited my mates In the van, and they cheered her on. Her victory was shortlived as she fell down as she took a swing at one of the men. They lifted her up and ordered her to join her fellow “inmates” in the van. She sat next to me, and it turned out she knew jane, so what followed was a lot of irrelevant chatter that only women are known for. I got to know her name was Linda, and she was hawking ladies' clothes.
The van was getting hot, and the conversations
were not helping. The door was flung open, and one of the askaris demanded that
if anyone wants to be realized, they should pay a fine of 5k!! Before I could
digest that info, a rubber shoe flew past me and hit the askari right on the
nose. we all burst out in laughter as the man looked like he wanted to cry.
He had a talk with his colleagues, and all we saw was the door being
shut. They got into the van, and we drove off without a word.
We arrived at the central police, and we were ordered out. Anyone
who raised their voice was met with a hot slap. It was already 6.15pm, and I
wondered how I will ever get out of this mess and go home. Since we were many,
we were put in a cell I think it was to scare us. We were picked one by one to
plead our cases. Jane and Linda sat in one corner with a few others as they
gossiped about some of the sellers. Jane kept throwing glances at me then
laughing sarcastically. At this point, I was so tired and could not care what
she thought. After a while, only jane, Linda, and I were left in the cell. One
askari came and shouted,
“kujeni hapa nyinyi ndio mnarusha viatu!”
Was this man out of his mind? As we walked out, the askari, who
was hit with a shoe screamed looking at me,
“wee madam ulidhani ukinigonga na kiatu hatutapatana?”
Before I could protest, he came with a shoe and forced me to wear
it. The funny thing was his shoe was two sizes smaller, and it was yellow, yet
I had on black shoes!! I tried talking, but he insisted I put on the shoe,
which got me very angry, so I slapped him hard and fell backward. I had had it.
I looked at him and said,
“wewe mwanaume mzima huna macho ya kuona hizi viatu hazifanani??
Na ata huna aibu, forcing me to wear that ugly shoe!!”
I turned and saw jane the cause of all my troubles that evening.
“wewe kamama kadogo, first of all matunda zako ni sura mbaya
atasijui nilisiimama kwako nikitafuta nini. Sasa ona vile nakaa na ata bag
yangu sina na yote ni juu yako swara!!!”
I looked at Linda,
“eish madam fighting skills zako zimeweza.”
Some big dude walked in, and with one glance at me, I heard him
order the cops to throw us out. He was not in the mood to deal with crazy
women. I ran out, not caring how I looked. I had one hundred shillings in my
pocket, and my destination was home. I got to my bus stop, and my foot was very
sore, so I sat down to rub it a bit. Little did I know that jane and Linda had
come to the same bus stop. I finally got up and head towards an almost full
bus. The conductor looked at me and knew it was wise not to ask questions. I
got in, and there was one seat left, then I heard,
“kamrembo ketu ka kiatu moja kuja ukae na sisi.”
I looked at them for a minute, then I just gave up and sat down.
Linda gave me a sandal to wear, and Jane offered to pay my fare. The ride home
was very memorable. I had not laughed that hard for quite a while, and there
marked the start of a very eventful and chaotic friendship.
Here we were 3years later. Jane had gotten a job in Germany on a
2year contract. Linda was a newlywed and was starting a new life, and there was
me who was going back to school. Looking back, I couldn’t have wished for
better friends.

Comments
Post a Comment